San Francisco Bay Ferry is a ferry transit service of the San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA). This Media Center provides links to news stories about the ferry system, press releases and media advisories, fact sheets and infographics, photos, B-roll footage and media contact information.
Press Releases & Media Advisories
- WETA Celebrates Clean Air Day With Free Ferry Rides, Vessel Emissions Reduction Project -- October 5, 2021
- San Francisco Bay Ferry Service to South San Francisco Resumes November 8 -- September 22, 2021
- Local Breweries Celebrate San Francisco Bay Ferry Relaunch With Special Beers -- September 8, 2021
- San Francisco Bay Ferry to Enhance Weekend Oakland & Alameda Service in September -- August 31, 2021
- San Francisco Bay Ferry Now Operates Service that Exceeds Pre-COVID Levels, Includes New Route to Alameda -- July 1, 2021
- WETA Announces Giants Ferry Service, Lifts Capacity Limits, Adjusts Mask Requirements -- June 16, 2021
- WETA to Develop Business Plan Shaping Future of Bay Area Water Transit -- May 21, 2021
- San Francisco Bay Ferry to Offer Its Most Weekday Service Ever Beginning July 1 -- May 19, 2021
- Temporary Lower Fares and Enhanced Schedules for San Francisco Bay Ferry Coming in July -- April 2, 2021
- WETA Awarded $13.4 Million in Federal Relief Funds -- March 30, 2021
- WETA Proposes Temporary Lower Fares and Expanded Schedules for San Francisco Bay Ferry -- March 5, 2021
- WETA Transfers MV Solano to Kitsap Transit -- February 24, 2021
- WETA Adopts Core Principles to Guide Ferry System Recovery -- February 4, 2021
- WETA Awarded $4.9 Million in Emergency Relief Funds -- February 1, 2021
- Redwood City Ferry Deemed Feasible, Business Plan to Be Developed -- January 26, 2021
- Seamus Murphy Appointed as Next WETA Executive Director -- December 10, 2020
- Clipper START Offers Discounted Ferry Fares for Eligible Riders -- November 23, 2020
- WETA Awards $30 Million for Two New Ferries -- October 9, 2020
- Expanded Downtown San Francisco Ferry Terminal Opens -- August 13, 2020
- WETA Awarded $4.4 Million Federal Grant to Rehab Ferry Terminal in Alameda -- July 24, 2020
- WETA Adopts Safety Plan, Increases Ferry Service in Vallejo and Richmond -- June 8, 2020
- WETA Awarded Grant to Build All-Electric Ferry -- April 21, 2020
- WETA Seeks Emergency Funding to Maintain Disaster Response Capabilities During COVID-19 Crisis -- March 23, 2020
- San Francisco Bay Ferry Service Reduced Amid Coronavirus Response -- March 16, 2020
In the News
- East Bay Times: Ferries slashing prices to lure riders back (March 10, 2021)
- San Francisco Chronicle: Ferry eyes lower fares, more service to bring back passengers (March 8, 2021)
- SFGate.com: Here's What Riding a San Francisco Bay Ferry is Like During COVID-19 (December 5, 2020)
- Bay Crossings: Expanded Downtown S.F. Ferry Terminal Opens to the Public (August 13, 2020)
- San Francisco Examiner: New Richmond to SF ferry service nets 'incredible' ridership growth (June 15, 2019)
- San Francisco Chronicle: Berkeley has big ideas for new pier, ferry service (March 26, 2019)
- Vallejo Times-Herald: Vallejo's first new ferry in 15 years opens for business (March 3, 2019)
- San Francisco Chronicle: Two new ferry terminals address sea level rise with style (February 18, 2019)
Full Speed Ahead Newsletter
Full Speed Ahead is our monthly passenger newsletter. It is available on board our ferries, at the Vallejo Ticket Office or via email.
Send questions or story ideas to email@example.com.
Current Issue: January 2022
2021: January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2020: May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2019: Spring | Summer | Fall | Winter
Fact Sheets, One-Pagers & Infographics
- Ferry System Map
- San Francisco Bay Ferry / WETA Fact Sheet
- Ferry Fleet Poster
- Monthly Operations Report (March 2021)
- Passenger Survey Results (June 2018)
Logos, videos and photos available here. Please contact us if you require assistance.
Social Media Channels
History of San Francisco Bay Ferry
The San Francisco Bay Area Water Transit Authority (WTA) was created by the California State Legislature in 1999 and tasked with planning new and expanded ferry service. In 2007, the San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA) was created to replace WTA and add the emergency response element to the agency's mission.
At the direction of the Legislature, WETA then developed a plan to absorb ferry services then run by the Cities of Alameda and Vallejo. Alameda-Oakland and Harbor Bay ferry services transitioned to WETA in 2012, and those routes in addition to a new route connecting the East Bay to South San Francisco began operating under the San Francisco Bay Ferry brand. The transition of the Vallejo service was completed in 2013.
The ferry service has been growing ever since, with enhanced service on the existing routes, two new maintenance and operations facilities, new terminals in South San Francisco and Richmond, expanded capacity at the San Francisco Ferry Terminal and many new vessels.
Thomas Hall, WETA Public Information & Marketing Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org | (415) 364-3190