San Francisco Bay Ferry is a ferry transit service of the San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA). This Media Center provides links to news stories about the ferry system, press releases and media advisories, fact sheets and infographics, photos, B-roll footage and media contact information.
Press Releases & Media Advisories
- Expanded Downtown San Francisco Ferry Terminal Opens -- August 13, 2020
- WETA Awarded $4.4 Million Federal Grant to Rehab Ferry Terminal in Alameda -- July 24, 2020
- Former S.F. Port Director Monique Moyer Appointed to WETA Board -- July 9, 2020
- Transportation Expert Jessica Alba Appointed to WETA Board -- July 1, 2020
- WETA Executive Director Nina Rannells Announces Retirement from Agency -- June 18, 2020
- WETA Adopts Safety Plan, Increases Ferry Service in Vallejo and Richmond -- June 8, 2020
- WETA Awarded Grant to Build All-Electric Ferry -- April 21, 2020
- WETA Seeks Emergency Funding to Maintain Disaster Response Capabilities During COVID-19 Crisis -- March 23, 2020
- San Francisco Bay Ferry Service Reduced Amid Coronavirus Response -- March 16, 2020
- Jim Wunderman Appointed WETA Board of Directors Chair -- January 2, 2020
- WETA To Expand Ferry Commute Service in Alameda and Oakland -- December 18, 2019
- WETA to Add Another New High-Speed Ferry -- December 16, 2019
- WETA Launches Richmond Ferry Service -- January 10, 2019
In the News
- Streetsblog S.F.: A Tour of Alameda's Ferry Maintenance Facility (August 9, 2019)
- San Francisco Examiner: New Richmond to SF ferry service nets 'incredible' ridership growth (June 15, 2019)
- San Francisco Chronicle: Berkeley has big ideas for new pier, ferry service (March 26, 2019)
- Vallejo Times-Herald: Vallejo's first new ferry in 15 years opens for business (March 3, 2019)
- San Francisco Chronicle: Two new ferry terminals address sea level rise with style (February 18, 2019)
- East Bay Times: Richmond ferry begins, ushering new era for water travel in the Bay Area (January 4, 2019)
- Le Temps (Switzerland): VIDEO -- On San Francisco Bay, the ballet of ferries (October 1, 2018)
Full Speed Ahead Newsletter
Full Speed Ahead is our monthly passenger newsletter. It is available on board our ferries, at the Vallejo Ticket Office or via email.
Send questions or story ideas to email@example.com.
Current Issue: August 2020
Fact Sheets, One-Pagers & Infographics
- Ferry System Map
- San Francisco Bay Ferry / WETA Fact Sheet
- Ferry Fleet Poster
- Monthly Operations Report (August 2020)
- Passenger Survey Results (June 2018)
Logos, videos and photos available here. Please contact us if you require assistance.
Social Media Channels
History of San Francisco Bay Ferry
The San Francisco Bay Area Water Transit Authority (WTA) was created by the California State Legislature in 1999 and tasked with planning new and expanded ferry service. In 2007, the San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA) was created to replace WTA and add the emergency response element to the agency's mission.
At the direction of the Legislature, WETA then developed a plan to absorb ferry services then run by the Cities of Alameda and Vallejo. Alameda-Oakland and Harbor Bay ferry services transitioned to WETA in 2012, and those routes in addition to a new route connecting the East Bay to South San Francisco began operating under the San Francisco Bay Ferry brand. The transition of the Vallejo service was completed in 2013.
The ferry service has been growing ever since, with enhanced service on the existing routes, two new maintenance and operations facilities, new terminals in South San Francisco and Richmond, expanded capacity at the San Francisco Ferry Terminal and many new vessels.