Commuting to San Francisco from Richmond? Taking the family on a summer day trip? Get out of traffic and ride the ferry! San Francisco Bay Ferry runs weekday commute service between Richmond and Downtown S.F.
From August 3 through November 3, we will also offer weekend service between Richmond and San Francisco.
Driving from Richmond to San Francisco on a weekday morning can take more than an hour. Getting back to the East Bay at quitting time is even worse as area freeways lock up. Parking in Downtown S.F. is a nightmare. It's all so expensive -- not just in terms of dollars spent on gas, tolls and parking, but on your well-being.
There's a better way.
The ferry from Richmond to San Francisco is affordable, safe, clean, fast and -- best of all -- relaxing. Your commute doesn't have to be the worst part of your day. Not when the ferry is an option.
Don't take our word for it. Here are some direct quotes from Richmond ferry riders about their experience since we launched in early 2019.
"Quality of life upgrade!"
"I LOVE the ferry from Richmond to SF. It has completely changed my attitude toward commuting to my job in San Francisco."
"Taking the ferry has reduced my stress level more than I can tell you. I absolutely love it."
"I love the ferry, I feel like I can commute for another 20 years to work having this service."
"The ferry has been life changing!"
Here's how to ride the ferry:
- Find the departure that works for your schedule. Here's the schedule for the evening commute back to Richmond.
- Get to the Richmond Ferry Terminal.
- There's wonderful bicycle access from Marina Bay and points south along the bay. You can bring your bike on board or park in secure BikeLink lockers at the terminal.
- AC Transit's Route 74 runs every half-hour and drops off steps away from the terminal.
- If you need to drive, we have 360 free parking spaces next to the terminal.
- Pay your fare, preferably using Clipper to save you some money.
- Here's everything you need to know about getting a Clipper card, loading it up and using it on the ferry.
- Taking the family on a trip and don't have Clipper cards? The quickest, easiest way to buy tickets without Clipper is by using the Hopthru mobile ticketing app on your smartphone. Here's everything you need to know about Hopthru.
What are you waiting for? See you on board!