What You Need to Know About the Main Street Alameda Ferry Terminal Closure
The Main Street Alameda Ferry Terminal is now CLOSED for refurbishment through January 1, 2024. During this time, ferries will not stop at this terminal.
The Main Street Alameda Ferry Terminal Refurbishment Project is a major construction project that includes the repair and replacement of the existing aging terminal infrastructure to bring the site into compliance with current seismic safety requirements. Improvements include bridge and foundation replacement, gangway replacement, float demolition and replacement, as well as electrical and water utility upgrades. Design elements also prepare the terminal for future fleet electrification needs. Upon completion of the project, passengers will see direct benefits like more efficient ferry operations and modernized terminal lighting.
Effective January 2, 2024, service at Main Street Alameda is planned to resume on the Oakland & Alameda, South San Francisco, Alameda Short Hop and Chase Center ferry routes. More details will become available closer to that date.
During the Closure
- Going to Downtown San Francisco from Alameda? Use the Alameda Seaplane Lagoon Ferry Terminal (1701 Ferry Point Rd). Weekday and limited weekend service will be available during the closure.
- Going to South San Francisco from Alameda? During the closure ferries to South San Francisco will only be available out of the Oakland Ferry Terminal (10 Clay St). Ferries will NOT stop at the Main Street Alameda Terminal. Free validated parking is available at Washington St. Garage near the Oakland Ferry Terminal. We also have a rideshare discount program available -- see below.
- Going to Oakland from Alameda? During the closure, the Alameda Short Hop will be suspended. Use AC Transit Line 96.
- Going to Chase Center from Alameda? Until January, ferry service to Chase Center will only be available from the Oakland Ferry Terminal (10 Clay St). Ferries will NOT stop at the Main Street Alameda Terminal. Reservations strongly recommended.
Temporary Alameda Seaplane Weekend Service
- Temporary weekend service will be available during this time on the Alameda Seaplane route. During the Main Street Alameda closure, ferry service will be available seven days per week between the Alameda Seaplane Lagoon and the Downtown S.F. Terminal. During the closure, at Downtown S.F. all trips to Alameda will depart from Gate F on the Alameda Seaplane Route.
- View the temporary schedule starting October 23, 2023 here.
Temporary Oakland Route Changes
- The Oakland route will maintain the current weekday departure times between Oakland and the Downtown S.F. Terminal. Ferries will not stop at the Main Street Alameda ferry terminal.
- The weekend Oakland route schedule will be reduced temporarily to support limited Alameda Seaplane ferry service. See the temporary Oakland weekend schedule on our schedule changes page.
South S.F. Route Changes
- All Oakland and South San Francisco departure times will remain the same during the closure. Ferries on the South San Francisco route will not stop at Main Street Alameda. South S.F. riders from Alameda will need to use the Oakland Ferry Terminal.
Temporary Alameda Short Hop Suspension
- The Alameda Short Hop will be suspended between Main Street Alameda and Oakland during the closure.
- Minor schedule changes will take effect on the Richmond and Alameda Seaplane routes. See the changes listed on our schedule changes page.
- A new route will be operating with limited service between Mission Bay (Pier 48.5) and South San Francisco. This route will provide a morning trip from Mission Bay to South San Francisco and two evening return trips from South San Francisco to Mission Bay. This temporary route will operate between October 23, 2023 and December 31, 2023. Check back soon for more information.
Normal fares will be in effect for all routes during this period. Clipper is still the best option to pay fare.To learn more, visit our Tickets & Fares Page.
Rideshare Discount for Alameda-South San Francisco Riders
Do you normally ride the ferry to South San Francisco from Alameda? We are providing complimentary shared Uber rides for South San Francisco ferry riders impacted by the closure of the Main Street Alameda Ferry Terminal between October 23 and January 1.
Riders are eligible to receive two daily complimentary shared Uber rides per day between anywhere on Alameda Island and the Oakland Ferry Terminal between the hours of 5:30-9:00 AM and 3:30-6:30 PM on weekdays. Fill out our form and within 48 hours you will receive a voucher in your Uber account applicable during the closure. An email address or mobile phone number must be provided.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will there be shuttles between Alameda and Oakland?
Will you offer ride hail (Uber, Lyft) discounts for Alameda riders who are being impacted?
We're looking into the possibility of providing potential ride hail discounts and will share details as they become available.
Why are you closing a terminal and reducing weekend service?
There is no service reduction for Oakland on weekdays. On weekends, we currently operate the Oakland & Alameda route as a 3-boat service. In order to in provide weekend service on the Alameda Seaplane route during this time, we're taking one of those vessels and using it to operate as an Alameda Seaplane vessel (which normally has no weekend service). As a result, Oakland weekend service will be reduced to 2-boat service during the closure.
Will the fares stay the same during the closure?
All regular fares apply during this schedule period.
How are Alameda riders supposed to get to the Oakland terminal?
Driving or ride hail are the best options.
Is there free parking at the Oakland Ferry Terminal?
Parking is free for ferry riders with validation at the Washington St. Garage near the Oakland terminal. Please remember to validate your parking onboard the vessel. The validation machine is located at the front of the main passenger cabin. There is also a validation machine at the Oakland ferry terminal.
Is there free parking at the Alameda Seaplane Lagoon Terminal?
What are my transit alternatives between Alameda and South San Francisco?
BART connects between multiple stations in Oakland and South San Francisco. Commute.org offers free timed shuttles between South S.F. BART and Oyster Point:
- OPB - Oyster Point <-> South San Francisco BART (schedule)
- OTP - One Tower Place <-> South San Francisco BART (schedule)
See our Rider Guide page or call (877) 643-3779.
SERVICE COMMENTS and QUESTIONS
Service suggestions are welcome. Please visit our contact page.